In This Issue
Week of 8/14/2017
Vol. 22 Issue 29
SNS: Trump vs. Xi: Causes and Outcomes in the US / China Era
- I. The Current Landscape
- II. The China Landscape: Causes and Outcomes
- III. The US Landscape: Causes and Outcomes
- Linked China / Trump Profiles
Quotes of the Week
Upgrades and Numbers
- Chinese Quantum Encryption Link: Hackable.
- Venezuela Civil War
- Trump on Trade
If there are two polar power centers driving the world today, they are the US and China. Given the politics and stories behind their two leaders, these power centers devolve into the personalities and power landscapes facing them. Although by nature they are opposites, it turns out that they share a remarkable set of similarities.
There is only one country today that can damage, and perhaps in some sense even destroy, the US, and that country is China. In fact, the process has been under way for decades.
And there is only one country today that can bring China to its knees, economically speaking, which would likely bring the Communist Party down, and that country is the US.
For a variety of historic and political reasons, Donald Trump and Xi Jinping hold unprecedented positions of personal power in their countries; to a large extent, this ongoing story is today the story of these two men.
In this week’s discussion, we’ll look at the relationship between these two countries and men through four lenses:
- The current landscape facing them both.
- Causes and Outcomes expected on the Chinese side.
- Causes and Outcomes expected on the US side.
- Ultimate outcomes of their contest.
Back Issues, 2015 Issues$9.95